Our 2017 application will open December 10, 2016. Most scholarships have a deadline of February 15, 2017 and others have a June 1, 2017 deadline.
If you have been notified that you have received a scholarship from one of the funds administered by the Community Foundation of Shelby County…Congratulations! You need to complete two easy tasks to release your scholarship check to your college:
Students: Now is the time to gather information that you can use on many different scholarship applications!
1. Put together a well-organized list of your community and school activities, including awards and honors you've received and any offices you have held.
2. Request 1-3 recommendation letters from non-relatives who can write about your abilities, character or work ethic. Ask coaches, club advisors, teachers, employers, or clergy....anyone who can share something about you that is not found on the application.
3. Complete the FAFSA. (www.fafsa.ed.gov) The FAFSA opened Oct. 1 and uses last year's tax returns, so no need to wait! Any of our scholarships that use 'financial need' as a selection criterion will request your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) number on our application, and most colleges want to see that number to determine your eligibility for some scholarships, aid, and subsidized and unsubsidized loans.
For Scholarship Award Recipients
- Sign and return the Acceptance Letter we mailed to your home. You can keep one copy because it contains helpful information about whether you will receive your check(s) before or after the first semester and whether you must fulfill any conditions for your scholarship. If you need a replacement copy of the Acceptance Letter, please contact our office.
- Send us your tuition statement (your college may call it an account or billing statement). Colleges and universities typically make these available to you by logging into your account on the college’s website. Review your Acceptance Letter to learn whether your scholarship check will be paid before the first or second college semester. Please mail or email a copy of the tuition statemnent which shows what you owe to attend college. We consider this as proof of enrollment in the college. An emailed item may be sent to email@example.com. A mailed copy may be sent to Community Foundation of Shelby County, 100 S. Main Ave, Ste 202, Sidney, Ohio 45365
And one more important request…please send a Thank You note to the person or family that provided your scholarship. It is always appreciated and valued by them! Please send the note to the Community Foundation address at 100 S. Main Ave Suite 202, Sidney OH 45365.
If you don’t personally know the individuals who provided the scholarship, it is always safe to begin your note with “To the (scholarship name) family.” We will forward your note to the appropriate individual or family member. Mention your future plans such as your college, major and career goal. Most individuals who create a scholarship fund have no involvement with the selection process and have not read your application. They truly enjoy reading notes from recipients!